Following a bequest to the Society, PSGB instituted the Napier Memorial Medal in 1991 in memory of its founding President, Professor John Napier. The medal is offered every two years to a new primatologist to provide encouragement through the public recognition of their work. The next Napier Medal will be awarded in December 2017. To be eligible for consideration candidates must:
- be a British subject or a foreign national who has completed a PhD at a UK institution of higher education
- have submitted their PhD after June 2015
The next deadline for nominations in Augst 2017. Candidates should normally be nominated by a member of the Society, but they may be nominated by their PhD supervisor even if he or she is not a member. Nominations should be send to the Society's President (email@example.com) and should comprise:
- the candidate's CV (including an abstract of the PhD thesis and full list of publications)
- a PDF of the approved doctoral thesis
- two letters of reference (one from the external examiner of the PhD; the other can be the supervisor or nominator)
A list of former awardees is located on the medals page.