Ethics of the Primate Society
PSGB advocates the highest possible ethical standards in all work undertaken by its members and the primatological community more widely.
Abstract Submission: ethical guidelines
Authors submitting talks or posters must confirm that the research in question was carried out in accordance with the ASAB/ABS Guidelines for the Treatment of Animals in Behavioural Research and Teaching. Download the guidelines (PDF).
Ethical Guidelines for Sponsorship and Donations
The Society wishes to seek a wide range of sponsorship and donations from diverse sources, including corporations, but acceptance of sponsorship must conform with ethical guidelines.
PSGB will be very pleased to hear from and work with sponsors/donors that are associated with the following:
- Environmental protection
- Pollution control
- Conservation and recycling
- Safety and security
- Ethical employment practices
- PSGB will not accept support from any business whose core activity contributes to global climate change, via the extraction or production of fossil fuels (oil, coal and gas), with an extension to the distribution of those fuels that have a higher global warming impact (e.g. tar sands and certain biofuels) unless said business has a clear and public commitment to conservation action.
- PSGB will not accept support from any organisation involved in conducting scientific procedures on non-human primates unless said organisation conforms to all UK Legislation.
- PSGB will not accept support from any organisation that advocates discrimination and incitement to hatred.
- PSGB will not accept support from the manufacture or transfer of indiscriminate weapons, e.g. cluster bombs and depleted uranium munitions.
- PSGB will not accept finance from organisations that fail to implement basic labour rights as set out in the Fundamental ILO Conventions, e.g. avoidance of child labour, or that actively oppose the rights of workers to freedom of association, e.g. in a trade union.
- PSGB will not accept support from organisations that impede access to basic human necessities, e.g. safe drinking water or vital medicines.
- PSGB will not accept support from any business whose core activity contributes to activities that risk damaging the environment or compromising human health.
Adapted from http://www.ethicalinvestors.co.uk/why.htm